This is a comprehensive description of the setup I am using daily: hardware and software. A costing estimate is also provided. You will find out more about how and why I came to choose each piece of hardware and software in the dedicated articles of this blog.
- Desktop: Firefox
- Extensions: Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes
- Search Engine: DuckDuckGo
- Mobile: DuckDuckGo
Nextcloud Bookmarks with the Firefox extension (desktop) and mobile application.
Cloud Storage & Syncing
Nextcloud desktop client and mobile application.
Nextcloud Contacts application
- Desktop: Pop_OS! Contact (integration via the Nextcloud Online Account)
- Mobile: /e/ OS Contacts (integration via /e/ OS Webdav account)
Nextcloud Calendar application
- Desktop: Pop_OS! Calendar (integration via the Nextcloud Online Account)
- Mobile: /e/ OS Calendar (integration via /e/ OS Webdav account)
ProtonMail web client (desktop) and mobile application.
- Desktop: Libre Office
- Mobile: nothing
- Web (desktop): OnlyOffice integrated with Nextcloud
Joplin desktop and mobile applications (syncing through Nextcloud).
- Password Management: Bitwarden Firefox extension (desktop) and mobile application
- 2 Factor Authentication: Aegis (mobile)
ProtonVPN's OpenVPN configuration files (desktop) and mobile application.
Nextcloud Deck web (desktop) and mobile applications.
Nextcloud, OnlyOffice and Bitwarden are self-hosted on a VPS managed using Cloudron (1-click application deployment).
- Hosting Provider: Contabo - VPS L SSD Plan - 8 cores, 30 GB RAM, 800 GB SSD
- Cloud Management: Cloudron - Premium Plan
- Backup: Wasabi
- Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon: 1700 USD
- Samsung S9 Dual SIM: 300 EUR (second hand from Backmarket.fr)
- VPS: 15 EUR / Month
- Cloudron: 12.5 EUR / Month (with a yearly payment)
- ProtonMail & ProtonVPN (bundle): 6.5 EUR / Month (with a yearly payment)
- Wasabi: 5 EUR / Month
- Gandi (.net domain name): 17 EUR / Year
- Total: 40.4 EUR / Month or 485 EUR / Year
See discussion about costs in the dedicated post.